FC4 / java / bin files

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 19 19:48:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:56 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 7/19/05, Robert Locke <lists at ralii.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 14:09 -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:
> > > I am trying to get java working in fc4 and in particular version 1.5.
> > > I downloaded this file:
> > >
> > > jre-1_5_0_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
> > >
> > > And thought I could 'run' that file to produce an RPM file. From there,
> > > I should have been able to install it.
> > >
> > > No luck.
> > >
> > > Where have I gone wrong?
> > >

> > First, you haven't read the release notes for FC4 that explicitly said
> > not to use the RPM from Sun....
> >
> > Second, take a look at www.fedoranews.org as there have been a couple of
> > articles over there about getting Java installed in FC4....
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > --Rob
> >

> There is nothing wrong with using Sun's Java software on Linux.  You
> can go with either the JPackage route or use Sun's product(s).

If you use Sun's RPM you may find that it gets uninstalled at a later
date because it gets replaced by a Fedora package - this is because Sun
specify the "provides" for their package differently to everyone else,
and this is what is alluded to in the FC4 release notes. That's why the
JPackage route is better than just installing Sun's RPM.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>