Use of sensors

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jul 19 20:49:11 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 19.07.2005 schrieb Mike McCarty um 22:02:

> I just did, and created an /etc/modules.conf with just the lines
> below in it.

Don't you have an /etc/init.d/lm_sensors init script which reads in
/etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? Which modules to be loaded should be defined
in there.

> WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the list above
> will contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really should
> try these commands right now to make sure everything is working properly.
> Monitoring programs won't work until it's done.
>
> How can I tell which are built in? And which file should I put those
> commands into?

The Fedora kernel has kernel components as modules wherever it makes
sense as where possible. You can check in /boot/config-<kernel-versiony>

> As root, I ran the programs listed above, and now sensors outputs

> $ sensors
> w83627thf-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter

> ERROR: Can't get VID data!

> What is the error related to VID data?

VID stands for Voltage ID. And it is normal that with some sensor chips
or how they are used by motherboard manufacturers these do not give
useful information. You then can use ignore VID in the sensors config.

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/lm_sensors-FAQ.html#Section-4_002e7

Some helpful documentation:

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/docs.html

> I haven't done that, but it seems that I'm getting some info now.

I may be necessary or reasonable to adjust /etc/sensors.conf.

> Mike

Alexander

Serendipity 22:36:40 up 4 days, 3:09, load average: 0.13, 0.07, 0.07