OpenOffice and MS Office - a question about cohabitation

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jul 19 22:33:09 UTC 2005

An associate recently had his computer attacked by viruses and spyware. He's a
writer and editor, and has worked in the non-profit world, so he's not a
person of means. I suggested he install Linux to solve his immediate problem,
and to save money since he had bought the computer some time ago and had lost
all his discs. Now, he's applying for supplemental editing work and he needs
a feature in MS Office called 'track changes', which keeps a list as I
understand it, of changes he makes to a document. I'm not a writer and don't
use MS Office or OpenOffice much, so I can't tell whether the feature in
OpenOffice called 'record changes' is equivalent. Is one amongst you
sufficiently versed in both worlds to tell me if he could use the 'record
changes' feature in OO, and would these records be accessible in MS Office
Word when the document was opened on a Windows machine? Alternatively, can
someone suggest a better place to ask the question?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA