Can't add or remove packages in FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jul 20 14:30:07 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I'm running FC 4 with the latest kernel.
> My desire was to have the ability to input Japanese, but before I can
> even get to that, I have a more fundamental problem. When I went to
> Desktp | System Settings | Add/Remove Packages to install multilingual
> support, and selected the languages that I wanted to isntall, it said I
> had to install iiimf drivers first. I went on to the web to see if I
> could download these drivers, but despite finding information about them
> on Red Hat's site for Fedora, it wasn't as simple as finding an RPM and
> downloading it.
>
> In any case, I later decided that I wanted to remove some programs that
> might be causing problems with my DVD (which is another issue). But when
> I selected to remove certain applications (like Totem), again the
> Add/Remove Packages interface told me I had to have certain packages
> installed before it could do anything.
> Huh? Why do I need packages to *remove* things.
>
> After a little more experimentation, it seems that I can neither add nor
> remove *anything*. It always gives me a list of packages that I need to
> have available before it will update.
>
> The result is that I can not make any changes to my system. What can be
> done about this?

Sounds like system-config-packages may be as broken in FC4 as it was in FC3.

Try using yum instead. If you really want a GUI, try "yum install yumex"
(yumex is in Extras) and you should then be able to install and remove
packages using yumex. Another GUI for yum is called kyum, also in Extras.

Paul.