Up2Date

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 14:52:09 UTC 2005

David Mamanakis wrote:

>I know I prolly could search the archives, but I have to get to work...
>I was wondering what I have to fix to get Up2Date to works...
>
>1) I install and start Fedora Core 3.
>2) I start Up2Date and it searches and finds updates
>3) From the primary list of updates, I select the Kernel updates (3)
>4) I click next till I get the "Dependency Search"
>5) It NEVER comes out of this state
>
>It will remain searching for dependencies for weeks...it won't actually
>finish this cycle, and it never updates anything...it never downloads the
>updates...
>
>So, what do I have to do differently, what do I need to fix?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--E

    Hard to say exactly what the problem is, but since FC3 is now 6
months old you probably have about 10,000 updates to check, which could
take a while.  You might benefit by splitting the task up, and using yum
to do your updating.  Open up a terminal and try the following:

1) become root:
su -
<enter root password when asked>
2 the yum command:
yum update a\*
the \* tells yum to look at only update packages whose names begin with
a lower case "a"
You can increase the number of packages yum will try to find thus:
yum update \[a-g]\*
which will find all packages beginning with lower case a through g
Anyway I think you get the picture. when done upgrading be sure to close
your root session by either typing exit <return> or pressing ctrl-d.
This will save you from typing dangerous commands.

HTH

Scott