Can't add or remove packages in FC4

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 20 17:21:44 UTC 2005

--- James KosiKosinosjkosina.intcintcomgrp> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP PGPNED MESSAGE-----
> BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
>

> |--- James KosiKosinosjkosina.intcintcomgrp> wrote:
> |
> |>-----BEGIN PGP PGPNED MESSAGE-----
> |>BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> |>
> |>|
> |>|
> |>|
> |>|      rpm -iv  gnucgnuchess> |>|
> |>|
> |>|
> |>|

> |>This is correct!
> |>Although, I'm not sure everyone knows this... -e
> |>option does not take
> |>wild cards.  The -i allows it because they are
> |>looking for files and
> |>when you remove a package you are not talking file
> |>names anymore.
> |>Best this for this would be to
> |>~    rpm -qa |qarep gnucgnuchess> |>Then take that
file list and run them to
> |>~    rpm -e ....
> |>

> |>|
> |>that
> |>|

> |>Ok, Ok already is installed!  Remember, we are
> |>talking packages not
> |>files here....
> |>
> |>|
> |>|      Ran   rpm  --reburebuilddb|>|
> package
> )
> |>|
> |>removed
> |>|
> |>:-(   Bad idea...
> |>
> |>|
> |>|
> |>Good Luck,
> |>James KosiKosin|
> |

> |Huh?  The wild card on the gnucgnuchesspm name is
> |suppose to be resolved by the shell before the
> |rpm command sees it.
> |
> Ok, Okf that is the case, then the command would
> look like this:
> ~    rpm -ev gevcgnuchess.0.extra.fc4.fc86.rpm
> Which is not how you remove a package...
> Here is an example.
> ~ I have a package called 'ecpaecpa7-1.i386.rpm'
> When I install it I use 'rpm
-ivh
ivhepcaepca7-1.i386.rpm'
> When I remove the rpm I use 'rpm -e epcaepca7-1'
> ...  this is just
> how the RPM database works for this RPM and most, if
> not all others.
>
> If you specify the file (complete name) you will get
> not insrinsralled because the database needs to
match the parameter
> exactly when you remove.
> I believe you could also leave the version number
> off and I could use
> 'rpm -e epcaepca..  but, you have to be careful with
> this as you will
> remove all versions... or maybe it complains...
> haven't tried with
> multiple epcaepcakages installed.
>
> Anyway, I hope I'm clearing things up.
>
> James

Thanks James!  That does clear it up a bit.
The man page on rpm is not clear on this.
I have even read 'threads' where 'PACKAGE-FILE'
and 'PACKAGE-NAME' seem to be used interchangeably.

At what point on a rpm FILE name does the package
name end?
  examples:
              prodproductABC1.4.i386.rpm
              prodproductABC1.4.noarnoarch
              prodproductABCelopment.1.01.4.i686.rpm

In other words,  is the PACKAGE-NAME always the
string just prior to the '.i386, .i686, .noarnoarchc'?