Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:52:41 UTC 2005

On 7/20/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:
> Recently isntalled FC4, not expecting it to do great things, but
> thinking it would at least work. When I first installed, it seemed to
> have a few problems, but I thought I could seek out help on the internet
> and get them resolved and then settle into the new OS environment.
>
> But, it's a few weeks later and still...
>
> I can't copy files from my DVD drives.
>
> I can't get Japanese language input, despite it being an option I
> selected during install.
>
> The Add/Remove Applications manager does not work at all.
>
> My wacom tablet can't be configured.
>
> I can't get sound from Flash objects in my web browser.
>
> The palm pilot application crashes whenever I try to connect my Tungsten E.
>
> The NTFS driver keeps losing track of the NTFS partition.
>
> ... The more I'm using Fedora, the more it's becoming unusable.
>
> Gah.
>
> And I haven't even tried printing yet. Frankly, I'm just scared to.
>
> Do I throw in the towel yet and admit that Fedora is stll for the hard
> core computer user set?

That is an oxymoron.  Hard core computer users are not deterred by new
software distributions.  They live for the challenge of breaking in a
new distro.

On the other hand, a rational computer user would install FC3.  There
is less anguish.  You benefit from the suffering of other early
adopters.  And with the delayed release of FC5 there is the added
bonus of getting Fedora Core software support for a longer time span
than any of the releases to date.