Is there an FTP client?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 18:54:33 UTC 2005

From: "Tom Diehl" <tdiehl at rogueind.com>

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, jdow wrote:
>
> > I just went out and got ncftp for myself. The ftp client that fedora
> > includes is enough to make a person lose her supper. It is REALLY
> > definitively dreadful to try to use. I have no idea what the bozoids
> > who replaced ncftp with this other garbage were thinking of. (gftp
> > will not even run from the command line. You MUST use its GUI version.
> > And I happen to prefer the command line. That is why I still have a
> > little place in my black book for "David Cary Hart" and his reply to
> > a command line issue I have with FC4. His response was snotty and
> > unresponsive. For gosh sakes this is Linux not an Apple product where
> > I expect that "do it our way or don't do it at all" attitude.)
>
> Does ncftp do something lftp will not?? I have not used ncftp since Red
Hat put
> lftp in and rm'd ncftp but I have not missed it either. For me lftp seems
> work just fine. I do agree how ever about gftp being a waste of space
though.

> Just wondering.

Intriguing question. It seems to work for me now but when I needed the
ftp tool right after installing FC4 it didn't seem to function worth the
bits to store it on the disk. So I found a working ncftp and didn't look
back. Now, for reasons I do not understand completely, it is working. I
may get around to seeing if these antique fingers can be retrained to a
slightly different interface to make lftp work. You may have a good point
with regards to lftp. (I did notice it has an odd "cadence" to its
screen presentation. The flickering while processing an "ls" command is
slightly annoying. So I have to rtfmp for it, I suppose.)

{^_^}