Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Wed Jul 20 19:37:21 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Recently isntalled FC4, not expecting it to do great things, but
> thinking it would at least work. When I first installed, it seemed to
> have a few problems, but I thought I could seek out help on the internet
> and get them resolved and then settle into the new OS environment.
>
> But, it's a few weeks later and still...
>
> I can't copy files from my DVD drives.
>
> I can't get Japanese language input, despite it being an option I
> selected during install.
>
> The Add/Remove Applications manager does not work at all.
>
> My wacom tablet can't be configured.
>
> I can't get sound from Flash objects in my web browser.
>
> The palm pilot application crashes whenever I try to connect my Tungsten E.
>
> The NTFS driver keeps losing track of the NTFS partition.
>
> ... The more I'm using Fedora, the more it's becoming unusable.
>
> Gah.
>
> And I haven't even tried printing yet. Frankly, I'm just scared to.
>
> Do I throw in the towel yet and admit that Fedora is stll for the hard
> core computer user set?

I think I read in a previous thread you have a dual-boot system.  Unless you're pressed for hard drive space, I suggest you keep it around.  Give it a rest for a while, then jump back in when you're ready.  Do some reading.  Ask more questions on this forum and elsewhere.  Figure out which problem to fix first, and keep at it.  Do some Googling.  You always have Windoze to fall back on.

I started out with RHL 5.1 in exactly this way, and evolved from an occasional to a regular user.  If you stick with it you'll be glad you did.