Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 20 20:21:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 13:39 -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 02:07 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > Recently isntalled FC4, not expecting it to do great things, but
> > thinking it would at least work. When I first installed, it seemed to
> > have a few problems, but I thought I could seek out help on the internet
> > and get them resolved and then settle into the new OS environment.

What were you running before?  How about trying a multi-boot environment
with a more stable version such as FC3 or CentOS4, and leave the FC4
stuff to age a bit before giving up entirely.

... snip ...
> > The Add/Remove Applications manager does not work at all.
>
> config-system-packages? Very strange. What error are you getting?

To my knowledge system-config-packages has NEVER worked once you have
installed updates.  Only works on the basic installation before updates,
unless it has been fixed recently.  Ought to either be fixed or
disappear after the first updates are done.  This was pointed out in
your earlier thread "Can't add or remove packages in FC4".  My $0.02:
use yum for updates/package-installation.  Not as pretty, but it
generally works well.

Phil