Creating Home Directories and other shares for AD users in samba

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Jul 20 21:56:56 UTC 2005

> > Also, there are some shares --- like the webroot one that multiple
users
> > should have rights to do anything in (for example, the webroot, all
of
> > the teachers in the school should have read, write and execute
rights
> > to, but none of the students should, as well, apache should have
read
> > write and execute rights so that it can serve it etc)
> >
> > My gut instinct is that it should be owned by apache, and that the
group
> > should be the active directory group teachers (which contains all
the
> > right people) and I am guessing the permissions would look like 775
> > giving the owner, apache, read, write and execute permissions, the
> > group, the active directory teachers group, read write and execute
-- so
> > they can edit web pages, and the rest of the world read and execute
> > permissions so that they can see the pages and execute any scripts
etc
> > in them.  Is this right or am I totally confused?
>
> Can handle this with appropriate group permissions and memberships,
and
> possibly with additional restrictions as shown above if necessary (may
> find you don't really want ALL teachers to have free access, depending
> on proficiency).   All users you want to access things that are not
> wide-open will need Linux user accounts with appropriate group
> memberships.
>
> Phil

[Tim Holmes]
What would these user accounts look like -- same username as the windows
user? Or how would I end up connecting the two, so that samba etc would
know that when user MCASCHOOL\timholmes accesses a share, he should get
directed to the home directory of srvweb-02\timholmes?  I am also
assuming that I could set their login shell to nologin to prevent them
from playing games with me

TIM

TIM