Newbie problem - Ethernet card configuration

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Jul 21 00:31:07 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 8:19 pm, Manisha Sathe wrote:
> Thanks Amal,
>
> Yes, cable modem is getting IP address via DHCP - that i confirmed from
> ISP. but how to check @ "dhclient daemon" ?
>
> regards
>
> Manisha

Manisha: Make sure you post your replies to people below their comments. It's
the accepted behavior of this list, and if you don't do it, someone else may
ask you not to 'top post' in a less friendly manner.

You can check to see if dhcpd is running by opening a terminal and changing to
root by typing "su -" and putting in your password. Then, type "service dhcpd
status" and press enter, and that will tell you if dhcpd is running. If you
find it is, you might try turning off dhcpd in Selinux - you can do that from
the menu item "security level" if you're running KDE - after you find it and
turn it off, you'll have to reboot to make the change. If your dsl starts
working, then, you have found the problem - I haven't found the way to fix
this issue yet in FC4, but it has been discussed on this list before, and
there's work going on to fix the problem. Actually, there have been many
Selinux patches lately, so I suppose I need to check if it has been fixed,
myself.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA