Which Nic is in which PCI slot ?

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 00:54:48 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a single command I can use to list which nic is in
which slot in multi-nic machines ?

lspci and cat /proc/pci list the type of card (and in the /proc/pci
case, the interrupt) and ifconfig lists the nics and their other
details, incluing interrupt, so I can figure it out.

But I'm trying to do this across a cluster of 15 machines with 2 or 3
nics apiece for the purposes of documenting it, so it would be tedious
to have to do it that way.

A nice, single command that says "eth0 is in 02:02.0, eth1 is in
02:02.1" would be nice.

There are 3 different models of machine in this cluster and each one
recognises the devices in a different order !  They have 2 on-board
nics and some also have one PCI nic.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Andrew