FC4 sound card correctly detected, but no sound

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 21 12:35:27 UTC 2005

Shantanu Shah wrote:

> # To enable sound from your laptop, run #alsamixer.
> # Scroll to the rightmost colum using the right arrow
> and hit m. (i.e. turn it on)
> # Exit the program by pressing Esc. Sound should now
> be working.
>
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
> [See section 'Sound']

Thanks very much.
I had no sound on my Sony Picturebook,
and thought there was something wrong internally.
But I followed your advice.
I didn't actually go the rightmost column
(that didn't seem relevant in my case.)
I went to the PC Speaker column,
and turned up the volume (which was set to 0)
with the up-arrow.

The fact that this is not suggested in System Settings=>Soundcard Detection
simply confirms my view that this "wizard" is in fact completely useless.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366