Local mail problem

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Thu Jul 21 13:05:10 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 14:19 +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>> strange. try file [mailbox], this should everywhere result with the same
>> information. how about ownership of your mailbox-file?
>>
>> Roger
>
> [neal at localhost mail]$ file neal
> neal: ASCII mail text
> [neal at localhost mail]$ file denise
> denise: empty
> [neal at localhost mail]$ file root
> root: writable, regular file, no read permission
> [neal at localhost mail]$
>
> They are all owned by the users they belong with. Two have the group
> 'mail' and roots group is root. I'm still wondering why I had no file
> before logwatch dumped one there. Shouldn't I have had an account
> created like the other users when I made the user id?
>
> --
usually, i think it is generated, if the first mail enters for a user. try
to send a e-mail to your account, in the shell via 'mail neal'. is it then
in your mailbox?? if yes, then i could only imagine, that there is also a
possible bug in evolution for this.... :-( btw. you could also read your
e-mails in the shell using mutt

roger