Tutorial

Daniel Orzechowski DANIEL.E.ORZECHOWSKI at saic.com
Thu Jul 21 15:12:00 UTC 2005

At 11:10 AM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest a Linux Tutorial for beginners that works w/FC3?
>
>I have worked thru several tutorials, but get to the point where I get
>different results from my input. For Example:
>
>"You can use virtual consoles to perform two activities in parallel. For
>example, I used one virtual console to write this section and another to
>test the commands as they were introduced. You can even use your mouse to
>cut and paste text from one virtual console to another. When you start
>your Linux system and get the log-in prompt, you're looking at console
>number 1. Go ahead and log in as root here; then press alt-F2. You should
>then see another log-in prompt. You can log in as user hermie on this
>console and then press alt-F3 to access a third console or press alt-F1 to
>return to the first console"
>
>I logged in as root, (su -), then entered alt-F2, and got the "Run
>Application" window
>
>I am reasonably sure that every thing is in the correct case, and that I
>have not made any other typos
>--

to fix your specific example, try using Control-Alt-F1 , Control-Alt-F2,
etc.   That'll let you switch between different virtual consoles.  I
suspect Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 are being handled by your window manager.

For a really good general tutorial on FC3, try www.fedorafaq.org

Hope this helps.

--
Dan Orzechowski
SAIC Marine Science and Technology Division