Tutorial

Thomas w. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Thu Jul 21 17:48:14 UTC 2005

Phil Schaffner wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:10 -0500, Thomas w. Cranston wrote:
>

>>Can anyone suggest a Linux Tutorial for beginners that works w/FC3?
>>
>>I have worked thru several tutorials, but get to the point where I get
>>different results from my input. For Example:
>>
>>"You can use virtual consoles to perform two activities in parallel.
>>For example, I used one virtual console to write this section and
>>another to test the commands as they were introduced. You can even use
>>your mouse to cut and paste text from one virtual console to another.
>>When you start your Linux system and get the log-in prompt, you're
>>looking at console number 1. Go ahead and log in as root here; then
>>press alt-F2. You should then see another log-in prompt. You can log
>>in as user hermie on this console and then press alt-F3 to access a
>>third console or press alt-F1 to return to the first console"
>>
>>I logged in as root, (su -), then entered alt-F2, and got the "Run
>>Application" window
>>
>>I am reasonably sure that every thing is in the correct case, and that
>>I have not made any other typos
>>

>The point that has not been made in other responses is that the above
>assumes the system is started in text-mode (runlevel 3 for RH/Fedora)
>not the current default GUI-login mode (runlevel 5), thus your
>confusion.  Once you get to a virtual console (either by starting the
>system in the "old" runlevel 3 mode, or with Ctrl-Alt-Fx) you will be
>presented with a text login dialog, and the alt-Fx keys will indeed work
>as described.  Some people have had trouble getting back to the GUI
>after getting to the virtual console mode under runlevel 5 - Alt-F7 will
>do that on the default setup.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Considering that I am new at the command line, how do I, or can I access
the web site tutorial from there? I suspect that I can not. If I can,
please give explicit instructions. I am making a good faith effort to
learn the comand line, and would appreciate the extra help.