Tutorial

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 21 18:03:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 12:48 -0500, Thomas w. Cranston wrote:
> Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
>
> Considering that I am new at the command line, how do I, or can I
> access
> the web site tutorial from there? I suspect that I can not.

Can't use any X-based browser in the virtual consoles.  Could probably
use a text-mode browser such as lynx but I have no experience there.

> If I can,
> please give explicit instructions. I am making a good faith effort to
> learn the comand line, and would appreciate the extra help.

If your goal it to get comfortable at the command line, virtual consoles
are not necessary.  Use a terminal program (the name goes back to
ancient TTY hard-wired, even hard-copy terminals - from the days of
punch-cards, paper tape, and other nostalgia) - konsole, gnome-terminal,
or the venerable xterm.

Phil