Newbie problem - Ethernet card configuration

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 21 19:29:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 19:33 -0700, Manisha Sathe wrote:

> Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>
>         You can check to see if dhcpd is running by opening a terminal
>         and changing to
>         root by typing "su -" and putting in your password. Then, type
>         "service dhcpd
>         status" and press enter, and that will tell you if dhcpd is
>         running.
>
>         ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
>         Thanks for yr reply, I tried this. But i am getting the
>         "Unrecognized service" as o/p message. pls help.

Looks like dhcpd is not installed.  Try

# rpm -q dhcp

If not found

# yum install dhcp

Or - backing up a step - do you really need dhcp?  I prefer to configure
my home router to leave low-numbered addresses alone and assign static
addresses of my own choosing (e.g. 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3 ... the
router being 192.168.1.1) for my Linux boxes.

Phil