Samba Authentication problem -- one machine only!!!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 21 20:50:29 UTC 2005

Tim Holmes wrote:
>>This problem typically has to do with either reverse DNS not working
>>properly OR winbind isn't happy.  Verify that both forward and reverse
>>DNS lookups work properly from all machines when referencing the file
>>server.
>>
>>If that doesn't fix it, try this on the file server:
>>
>>	1. Stop winbind
>>	2. Delete the /etc/samba/secrets.tdb file
>>	3. Join the file server machine to the domain again
>>	4. Restart winbind.
>>
>>See if that has any affect.
>>

> [Tim Holmes]
> Rick:
>
> Heres the results of the NSLOOKUP commands
>
> login as: root
> root at srvfs-01's password:
> Last login: Thu Jul 21 13:33:47 2005 from tim-base.mcaschool.net
> [root at srvfs-01 ~]# nslookup srvdc01
> Server:         192.168.0.2
> Address:        192.168.0.2#53
>
> Name:   srvdc01.mcaschool.net
> Address: 192.168.0.2
>
> [root at srvfs-01 ~]# nslookup 192.168.0.2
> Server:         192.168.0.2
> Address:        192.168.0.2#53
>
> 2.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa        name = srvdc01.mcaschool.net.
>
> [root at srvfs-01 ~]#
>
> Deleteing the secrets.tdb file and rejoining had no effect -- same
> problem -- when I try to access it from windows, it demands
> authentication, and wont accept proper credentials

Ok, next step, make sure the date on the file server and the domain
controller are the same.  If they're off by as little as 3 minutes,
it won't authenticate.  If possible, sync ALL of your machines from
an NTP server somewhere.  It doesn't matter if the dates are right,
just that they all match.
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -