duel booting with windows XP home edition, and Fedora

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jul 22 00:09:59 UTC 2005

Alex Aguilar writes:

> by parted) on what partitions that I would like to repartition. I am told
> to type one of these commands at the prompt: parted/dev/hdx, or
> parted/dev/sdx; where "x" is the partition ! number of the hard drive that
> I want to partition.(On top of not knowing what command to use) Know I am
> aware that in Linux drives hda1-3 are resurved for primary partitions,
> while 4 is for a single extended partition, and 5 on up is for logical
> drives located with in the extended partition; but what number should I
> input into the "x" variable of my commands, so that I will not erase

You are most likely to have an IDE hard drive.  Type "fdisk /dev/hda", and
at the prompt type "p" to display your existing partitions.

You will probably find that your existing Win XP partition will be
/dev/hda1.

But all of this is completely and utterly irrelevant, because parted is not
capable of resizing NTFS partitions.  Parted would've helped were you
running Win 95 or 98 on an FAT partition, but your existing Win XP partition
uses NTFS, which parted does not support.

If you want to resize your existing Win XP partition you will have to use a
commercial partition resizer such as Partition Magic.

A better solution for you is to connect a second hard drive, and leave your
existing Win XP partition alone.  Linux does not need to be installed on the
first hard drive.