Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Fri Jul 22 03:20:07 UTC 2005

>Opinions are like . . .  but I seriously doubt it. Let's focus on one at
>a time. The DVD might be a good place to start. What are the contents
>of /etc/auto.misc (just the uncommented contents)?

I had an idea when I was re-installing Fedora Core 4. It puzzled me that
the Fedora install DVD runs as smooth as silk, and then immediately
after the install is finished, the first data DVD I put in causes the
drive to hang. Then I thought, maybe that's because the Fedora install
DVD, which I burned from an iso file, is not in a Linux file system
format. The data DVD format is whatever standard is used that's readable
by Windows as well. Perhaps the problem can be isolated to not drives
but to compatible formats?

Here is what is in the auto.misc file
cd        -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev    :/dev/cdrom

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux        -ro,soft,intr        ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot        -fstype=ext2        :/dev/hda1
#floppy        -fstype=auto        :/dev/fd0
#floppy        -fstype=ext2        :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy    -fstype=ext2        :/dev/fd0
#jaz        -fstype=ext2        :/dev/sdc1
#removable    -fstype=ext2        :/dev/hdd

Dave