Php cli help

Enrico Bianco enricob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:14:26 UTC 2005

mm wrote:
> Can you help me more with compiltion.
> I use to work with GCC bat not with make files.
> Thanks,
> mm
>
> Enrico Bianco wrote:
>
>> mm wrote:
>>

>>> I am trying to run tests from mediawiki scripts.
>>> On my fedora core 3 php is CGI.
>>> No cli PHP binary to download.
>>> Can anybody help me
>>> Thanks,
>>> mm
>>>

>> Try compiling one from source.  It worked for me.  However, the manual
>> is mostly concerned with web-based installations (i.e. the Apache module
>> or CGI binary), so you might have to look harder for some instructions
>> on how to do it.  I also recommend that you install the new PHP in a
>> different place than the one you have now, outside of your PATH
>> (otherwise the PHP from FC3 and the PHP you're building will conflict).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Enrico

Firstly, there are three basic steps to installing something from source:
1)  ./configure (to configure the build)
2)  make (to build the binaries and other related files)
3)  make install (to copy the files to their proper places)

The trick is to figure out the right arguments for the configure script.
 One that you might need is --prefix=<some directory>, which allows you
to choose the directory where all the files will be installed to when
you `make install` (so you don't install over the PHP from FC3).  Beyond
that, I don't fully remember the arguments that you can give to the
configure script, but the README, INSTALL, and other related files in
the tarball should be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.

If my memory serves me correctly, --enable-cli enables the command-line
binary in the build.  I'm sorry but that's all I can remember about when
I did it...

Hope this helps,
Enrico

Oh, and BTW, you don't need to send to both me and the list.  I already
get your message when you send it to the list.  And write your replies
below the stuff that you're quoting, please.