FC4 rpm not working properly

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 22 17:27:19 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Alexander Apprich wrote:
>
>> Hi Rodrigo,
>>
>> Rodrigo López Negrete wrote:
>

> [that he had a problem with rpm install scripts]
>
>> try the following...
>>
>> 1. (re)move /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
>> 2. rpm --rebuilddb
>

> Is the rm necessary? I've used rpm --rebuilddb before,
> and it seemed to do the job.

Depends on how screwed up the database files are.  For safety sake,
delete them.

>> Had the same problem after installing FC4, but I had this problem ever
>> since RH8.0 every now and then.
>

> Hmm. Are there known defects with rpm?

No, it's a long standing issue with dbm (which manages the database
files).  Why it hasn't been fixed yet is beyond me, but I suspect that
it's difficult to reproduce on demand.
-         The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR FILES!!!       -