How to automatically start or stop Bluetooth service when USB bluetooth dongle inserted or removed?

Alex Cruise alex at cluonflux.com
Fri Jul 22 17:42:02 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I have a cheap little USB Bluetooth dongle which works great,
unfortunately I only have one, so I tend to unplug it and bring it with
me, so I can use it with different computers.  Obviously, when the
dongle isn't present, there's no point running the "bluetooth" service,
and when I plug it in, kbluetoothd (from the KDE Bluetooth project)
detects the dongle pretty much instantly, but then complains that the
SDP service isn't running.  Is there any way I could add triggers to the
hotplug service for my dongle that would start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth when it's inserted, and stop it when it's
removed?

Thanks!

-0xe1a