Linux Permissions on an NFS Share

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Jul 22 18:15:31 UTC 2005

I rebuilt my file server from bare metal today (fedora core 3).
Everything is running well and samba is working (THANK GOD), but for
some dumb reason, I cannot get write permissions on my home directory
export from the file server

The /etc/exports file looks like this

/home               192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 (synch,no_root_squash,rw)

And here is the /etc/fstab file from the webserver

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot                             /boot
ext3    defaults        1 2
none                                         /dev/pts
devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                                         /dev/shm
tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                                         /proc
proc    defaults        0 0
none                                         /sys
sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                                      swap
defaults        0 0
192.168.0.5:/home                     /home
nfs     hard,rw,nosuid
/dev/hdb                                    /media/cdrom
auto    pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                                     /media/floppy
auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

[root at srvweb-02 ~]#

When ever I try to create a document on the shared drive (/home) from
the webserver, I get a permission denied error -- I can see it, and see
the documents there, but I cannot access put new documents there (which
I need to be able to do) I have chmoded the home folder (temporarially)
to 777 perms, and I can read and write to it from the samba share (as I
should be able to do) but not from nfs

I have a suspicion that I have done something stupid and dumb, but I
don't know what it is

Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly helpful

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher
Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11