firestarter for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Fri Jul 22 23:11:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 19:15 +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> I'm going by <http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php>
> to set up ICS.
>
> Can firestarter be used to setup ICS in this situation?  In the
> diagram showing two computers only, which is what I have, the external
> NIC, eth0, is connecting directly to the internet.  In my case there's
> a wireless connection to a router, which then connects to the
> internet, so it's not quite matching the diagram.

My question is why can't you just connect both computers to the router?
What type of router is it?  Is it only wireless or something and maybe
you only have one wireless adapter to connect to it?

It sounds like you have this....

Internet --> router --> computer1 ---> hub ---> computer2

Is that correct?  If so, can both either connect to the router itself ,
or why not just use the below method if you can't connect both to the
router...

Internet ---> computer1 ---> hub ----> computer2

What would be helpful, if you could describe if your connecting from
home, office, etc.  Also, what type of connection is it, dialup,
cable/dsl, adsl, T-X, etc?  And what exactly do you want both computers
to do, both share files between them as well as internet, just internet,
or are you sharing with lots of others via some type protocol?

Just some type of brief explanation of where you are at, what type
connection you have, what you want them to do , and maybe what equipment
you have to work with might give someone some ideas.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Everything is always harder, before it's easier!