mail-notification: need alert popup or icon

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat Jul 23 00:15:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 01:27, Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using fedora 4. I need an application that can alert me whenever i
> get a mail(pop3). I tried usinf mail notification. But it doesnt seem to
> work. I need something like a pop-up whenever i get a new mail or maybe
> an icon in the taskbar(like thunderbird has in windows) or maybe some
> animation in the taskbar like there used to be in fedora 3( a jumping
> penguin etc)
> I see that i can configure mail-notification to run a command whenever a
> new mail arrives. but i dont know what command to give here so that i
> can get the desired alert.

Can anyone speak to why applications such as these have problems with
notifications? I started a similar thread yesterday. I use Evolution and
have tried both gnome and kde. I can't get it to give any type of
notification. I had similar problems with Gaim when running gnome.
Switching to kde partially fixes that. To me this is one of those very
frustrating things about running 100% linux.

Running a separate application in parallel does not appeal to me. I have
my email running all day and would prefer to keep it minimized until I
have a message or need to write one.

Are there any links to general information about why notifications do
not work?

Thanks,
James