KDE settings

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Sat Jul 23 16:03:31 UTC 2005

--- Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/23/05, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 23.07.2005, 15:37 +0300 schrieb
> Dotan Cohen:
> > > Where does KDE store it's settings, such as
> filters in Kmail and
> > > information on Kopete? I looked through ~.kde
> but ther were a few
> > > pointers to directories outside my home
> directory, and nothing that
> > > looked like a configuration file.
> > >
> > Take a look at ~.kde/share/apps/{kmail,kopete}/...
> >
> > Christoph
> >

> Hey, thanks! I thought that I had looked in there...
>
> Just one more question. When upgrading (FC3->FC4,
> which means KDE3.1
> -> KDE 3.4), can I just open my /home/dotancohen
> directory, start to
> work, and KDE will recognize all my old settings?
> When I upgraded this
> machine, I performed a clean install and started
> from scratch, but I
> want to know for the future. Thanks.

Your millage may vary, but I have found that if
you do an 'Upgrade' either of Linux, or of a new
release of KDE to the same version of Linux,
you should rename you ~/.kde  directory and let
KDE recreated it again.  You will have to redo
all of you settings.  If you don't do this,
you 'MAY' have weird problems with the KDE
desktop.  I have been told that this can be due
to new versions of things changing the way they
set up their startup/default settings.