DRI with ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c)

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sat Jul 23 19:42:00 UTC 2005

I have a system with an ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev
5c) in it.

When I had this card in another machine, with Fedora Core 3, ISTR that
all I had to do to get DRI working was to switch from 24 bpp to 16 bpp.

However, now that I have the same video card in another machine, running
both Fedora Core 3 and Fedora Core 4 (dual boot), DRI doesn't seem to
want to turn on with either release of FC - GL is slow, glxinfo says
"direct rendering: No", and xdriinfo says:

	Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display":0.0".
	Screen 0: not direct rendering capable.

What do I need to turn on DRI, using the opensource DRI stuff, rather
than the ATI-proprietary fglrx?

Thanks!