Update: device /dev/dsp can't be opened. (Permission denied)

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 23 20:15:16 UTC 2005

- -> Subject: Re: device /dev/dsp can't be opened. (Permission denied)

It would appear that on Jul 22, Mircea Hutanu did say:

> well, as the message sais it's a problem of permisions
> you need to chmod 666 /dev/dsp and chmod 666 /dev/mixer

Yes I reasoned so... but since the permissions worked as was for my
usual user account, I tried to do this with chown...

Actually I've found a workaround (see below) that seams to work for FC2
though not for the same kind of problem with my MDK 9.1 installation.
in both cases I was having what looked like permission problems when I
tried to startx with a different login than usual...

It would appear that on Jul 22, William Case did say:

> Hi;
>
> I am having the same type problem.
> Every time I make the above changes, something changes it back as soon
> as I log out and in again.
> Bugzilla suggests changes to asound.conf
> pcm.!default { type hw card 0 }
> ctl.!default { type hw card 0 }
> And it keeps getting changed back, even when I don't use system-config-sound
> I have searched for the controlling file or program and can't find out
> why this is happening.

yes... the login process is part of my fc2 workaround see below. I too
would like to know why this happens. And for that matter, why my work around
works in the 1st place...

It would appear that on Jul 22, Mike McCarty did say:

> He said that something changed his owner back. That is
> wierd.

I thought so. I figure I should be able to just get a list of pathnames
that I can embed in a root script that chowns them all to the user I
currently want to designate via $1.

But tty login and startx both like to mess with them...

> BTW, top-posting is deprecated. See RFC1855
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

(how do you feel about in-line quoting like I'm using???)

> What would be wrong with putting the "generic user" into your "main
> user" group, and sharing with the group?

Actually that was one of the first things I did... But every time either
the login process or the startx one chowned these devices it also did
something to chmod 600 $device... rendering my attempts to use group
permissions useless... <sigh>

- ->>=>> my workaround for fc2 with run level 3 boot and using startx to
- ->>=>> initialize the xserver...

It turns out that the relevant /dev/files are also chowned when a user
login to tty1 (at least when it's the only tty with a user logged in to a
"run level 3" system...)

I don't know why. But I found that if I do a clean shutdown of the x
server, then logout _all_ users, all I gotta do is log in to tty1* with the
account I want to run startx from. Then run startx BEFORE logging in any
other users. Then no mater which user I'm using. I can play my cd's with
kscd... At least, that is if I remember to actually stop the cd before I
shut down the xserver...

* I didn't check logging in the _only_ user to any of the other tty's
so I can't say for sure that tty1 is necessary. But the below sequence
did work with tty1...

In fact I just successfully switched back in forth between my normal
user account and the generic one I wanted to run startx from 5 times in
a row...

* login user1 to tty1
* startx
* kscd -> play ->stop
* three finger salute ->logout
* ^D
* login user2 to tty1
* startx
* kscd -> play ->stop
* three finger salute ->logout
* ^D

# {REPEAT 5 TIMES}

The above does NOT work with my MDK 9.1 which insists on only letting
my usual user account or root play cd's.

I figure that's another reason to usually boot fedora. But I'm concerned
that my fix might not still work when I eventually upgrade to a more
recent core.

Oh and one other odd thing... While composing this followup while
listening to my cd's (having run startx from the generic account
& having used "su" to access pine under bash as my regular user,
I suddenly got a belated and inaccurate pop-up error just like the
one I quoted in the original subject... Only I was already using kscd.
I was able to close it and reinitialize it and still play my cd's...

Why that pop-up was generated I don't have a clue...

   ##_if_you'd_prefer_an_clearsigned_".asc"_text_file_of_this_##
   ##message_as_an_mime_encoded_attachment,just_ask_me_while__##
   ##it's_STILL_IN_my_outbox_folder_._._._=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+;-)_##
   # gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 6C2163DE #
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #