KDE settings

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Sat Jul 23 23:23:48 UTC 2005

--- Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/23/05, BRUCE STANLEY
> <bruce.stanley at prodigy.net> wrote:
> > Your millage may vary, but I have found that if
> > you do an 'Upgrade' either of Linux, or of a new
> > release of KDE to the same version of Linux,
> > you should rename you ~/.kde  directory and let
> > KDE recreated it again.  You will have to redo
> > all of you settings.  If you don't do this,
> > you 'MAY' have weird problems with the KDE
> > desktop.  I have been told that this can be due
> > to new versions of things changing the way they
> > set up their startup/default settings.
> >

> Then I could probably move the individual program's
> files one by one
> and try to avoid problems?
>
> Also, If I install another distro in it's own
> partition, but mount the
> same /home partition, will the KDE from the new
> distro recognize the
> settings that I set it Fedora? If, say, they are
> both the same version
> of KDE (3.4)?
>
> Dotan

Not sure what you mean about moving individual
program files, but if they are 'rpm' base installs,
you could mess up your rpm database.

The problem with install another distro (I assume
you mean like replacing Mandrake with Fedora as
an example), even with the same revision of KDE
(note I said revision, e.g  3.4), is that you don't
know how the other Distro might have changed things
to suite its own way of doing things before releasing
the same rev of KDE.  It might still work, but
then again....  If it doesn't, you can alway rename
the ~.kde  dir and redo all the settings....  :-(