Security setting to prevent passive ftp?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Jul 24 10:36:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Jonathan August wrote:

> The modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp doesn't return anything and it seems to still
> have an issue...  Do I need to reboot or something?

You can tell if the modprobe had the desired effect by issuing lsmod.

> Also, what do I add to /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config?  There just seems to
> be a few things in there with YES or NO settings...

IPTABLES_MODULES="iptables_conntrack_ftp"

No need to reboot, but you could "/sbin/service iptables restart".
Shouldn't be necessary after the modprobe, but the iptables-config entry
only takes effect after restarting iptables.

Are you sure all appropriate ports (20 and 21) are open (on the server and
through the firewall)?  Is ncftpd configured correctly for passive access?
(I don't know anything about configuring ncftpd.  Just trying to think of
things to check.)