boot sector error: backup/record don't match?

Xia Bin thefinalxia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 15:51:55 UTC 2005

During the graphic boot phrase (rhgb), I noticed that I've been given
the warning that "the boot sector data differs from its backup" and then
followed with an array of digits. And I also been told that "the error
was not automatically fixed". I've run fsck.ext3 on /dev/hda1 /boot but
no error was reported, thus nothing fixed.

I have 2 hard disks:

The 30gb one (/dev/hda), installed with FC4, has 3 partitions: /boot, /
and the swap on it, with grub installed;

The 60gb one (/dev/hdb) used to be my /home/xia, but this afternoon I
have it transformed into fat32 and then made a entry in /etc/fstab for
it as /home/xia/Data. Then I installed Win98se on it. (I have to admit
that I've been really missing some old-good games recently :p) In order
to not have my data on the Linux disc messed during the installation of
Windowz, I changed the BIOS setting of hda to "Not Installed", so I
don't think I've hooked anything on hda. After the installation
finished, I added a entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf. The dual-booting
staff works fine and hdb is accessible with my normal user acc (there
has been a minor issue though).

So this "boot sector" output is the only thing bothers me now.

I looked into /etc/rc.sysinit but failed to locate the line generating
the error message.

My *WILD* guess is that this is a GRUB problem, and there is one link:
The first reboot of my Windows failed with only a string on the screen
said "GRUB GRUB" then halted. So I had to run a "fdisk /mbr" and "sys a:
c:" on hdb, and my first FC4 installation was on the 60GB disc (now as
/dev/hdb). Is it that there might been some GRUB data left on the MBR of
hdb and then replaced by me with "fdisk /mbr" so I've been told that
there is a mismatch been found?

I would like to have this error fixed in someway. There is some many
other shitty things to do I really don't have much time to go thur the
manuals; I also don't want to risk with my data as I don't have a rescue
disk at hand (damn you LITEON cdrecorder! go to hell and rot; well, it
IS cheap anyway :p)

Thanks