Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 19:24:30 UTC 2005

On 7/23/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> Okay, this is it. As much as I am rooting for Fedora Core to be a stable
> (enough) desktop environment, the inability to reliably read DVDs is a
> deal breaker. I am making one last ditch effort to see if anyone can
> help, but if not, I'm going to have to give up on Fedora.
>
> I hope someone can help out here and at least give me a reason why my
> DVD drives are not working, if not solve them, so that I can assess
> whether or not I'm liable to encounter the same problem with another
> distribution of Linux (which is why I haven't already switched).
>
> This will be the most complete description of the problem, and if this
> doesn't do it, then I have to call it quits.
>
> 1. The Set Up:
> Fedora Core 4, complete yum update as of minutes before writing this
> email, latest kernel.
> Desktop PC, Pentium III, 600Mhz.
>

> 2. The Problem:
> When I put any kind of DVD, whether it's data or video, into my DVD
> drives, they work poorly or not at all. Data CDs and Audio CDs work
> fine, and I can even *write* DVDs on my external DVD player and burn CDs
> on my other drives.
> It's only in reading DVDs that the problem arrises.
> External USB DVD drive: Will usually show the DVD icon on the desktop,
> but copying data is extremely slow and will almost always fail. I have
> succeeded maybe once or twice in copying data from a DVD when the amount
> of data is less than 100 MB. But not reliably, and not in any pattern
> that I can reproduce.

This might be your problem,  for USB do you have a 1.1 controller or
2.0 USB controller?

lsusb -v|grep bcdUSB

You'll want to be using USB 2.0

> Internal DVD 1: Putting a DVD in this drive causes the light to flash as
> if it is reading, but no icon comes up and it does not become
> accessible. Ejection is impossible unless I reboot and press the front
> eject button during the power on sequence, or if I force an ejection by
> inserting a pin into the manual eject hole on the front of the drive.
> This DVD drive is on the sequence of boot devices (between floppy disk
> and before hard drive), so if there is a DVD present in the time of
> booting, it will delay the boot process by five to ten minutes and
> eventually show an error before booting.
> Internal DVD 2: Will spend about a minute reading the DVD before an icon
> shows up on the desktop. Copying takes a long time (at least twice the
> time it takes to copy the same number of files under Windows XP), but it
> will actually complete. However, while it is copying files, it seems to
> slow the whole system down, to the point where mouse movement and typing
> is delayed.

So the internal DVD drives are IDE?  What kind of  cables are you using?
If you don't have shielded cables it's worth it, they're cheap.

Also try using single-word DMA instead of multi-word DMA and see if that helps.

Good page for all this:

http://axljab.homelinux.org/Hdparm

And further you may want to build your own custom kernel, there may be
specific settings for your hardware that aren't enabled in the standard FC4
kernel.

bon apetit,
Richard