Issues with changing monitor

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 20:34:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:43:29 -0700
Venkat V <venkavis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thank you for a prompt response.
>
> When i pressed a I got a screen where it had the following line and I
> added a space and 3 in the end to look like b
> grub append > ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb 3
>
> after that I logged in as root and then  I issuesd the command
> system-config-display --reconfig and then pressed ENTER.
>
> I get the following message
> -bash: system-config-display: command not found
>
> Is there anything wrong in my sequence.
>
> Venkat V
>
> On 7/23/05, Richard E Miles <r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:14:46 -0700
> > Venkat V <venkavis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I hadnt used fedora core 2 since a long time and the last time I used
> > > was with a monitor resolution of 1400 X 1280 using a nVIDIA GEFORCE
> > > FX5500 card. My monitor burnt and now I connected the system to a new
> > > dell monitor which supports only 1280 X 1024. What happens now is the
> > > system boots and the when loading xwidows the monitor displays "Unable
> > > to display the resolution"
> > >
> > > What can I do? Hoz cqn I chqnge the resolution? I have a rescue CD but
> > > I could not get that to change the resolution.
> > >
> > > Any help is highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Venkat V
> >
> > When you boot the machine alter the starup menu line by pressing a. Then
> > append 3. This will let you start at run level 3. Then log in and issue
> > system-config-display --reconfig. Set up your display for your new monitor
> > and set the display resolution for 1280x1024. After you set up your
> > display configuration type startx& to start X windows.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Miles
> > Federal Way WA. USA
> > registered linux user 46097
> >

> --
> Venkat V

That's strange. I have the following on my systems:
 whereis system-config-display
system-config-display: /usr/bin/system-config-display /usr/share/system-config-display
[rmiles at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides system-config-display
system-config-display-1.0.29-1
Do you have a similar readout when issuing these commands? If you are
missing system-config-display issue:
yum install system-config-display.