FC3 Want to "downgrade" perl.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 24 21:28:06 UTC 2005

neidorff writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> Last night yum automatically updated perl and perl-suid to 5.8.5-14 on
> my FC3 system.  Now my qmail server no longer sends or receives mail.
> So, I downloaded the last perl/perl-suid packages (5.8.5-12) and am
> trying to "downgrade" to them.  I tried the --oldpackage flag in rpm:
>
> #rpm -ivh --oldpackage perl-5.8.5-12.FC3.i386.rpm
>
> but I get file conflict errors--file X of <old version> confilcts with
> file X of <new version>
>
> I want to do this carefully and without failure since a lot of things
> on the system depend upon perl.
>
> How can make the downgrade happen?  (I have found no other changes
> that would mess things up on this server.  If anyone knows of any
> other problem that might have caused mail to stop, please let me know)

If you don't understand what your problem is, the correct way to fix it is
definitely NOT to install or uninstall random packages, and hoping for the
best.

There is absolutely nothing that qmail needs from Perl.  Whatever your Qmail
problem is, it has nothing to do with Perl.

Unless, of course, you've hacked a basic Qmail setup with some piggy-backed
spaghetti code that might use Perl for some particular purpose.  Yes, then,
but only then, would a Perl upgrade _might_ cause something to break.