[OT] How to find work?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 03:41:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 21:10 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> How would I find *nix work, presumably Fedora-related?

Set the way back machine to 1998 - or move to India.

Seriously - at least in the US, it is now extremely difficult to get
these kind of jobs if you don't have at least a four year degree in
computer science and previous work experience.

My dad (retired last month) use to hire people at Cal for internal
computing services.

In late 2000 they would get maybe one or two qualified resumes a month.
Now it is a public university, so pay wasn't as good as just a few miles
south in silicon valley.

By mid 2001, they were getting over 30 a day from people with years and
years of experience making far money than UC could pay them.

It's a little better than it was in 2001 after the dot.com crash, but
not much better.
Many major universities are currently advising against C.S. majors.
Apparently accounting is now the hot career option - well, biotech, but
accounting is hot because demand for accountants are up yet less people
are going through accounting programs to completion.