What is GTK or xorg-x11-sdk?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 05:03:12 UTC 2005

--- Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> I am trying to configure and make a driver (wacom)
> which seems to
> require something called "GTK". I looked around the
> internet for what it
> is and if there were RPMs I could download. However,
> I couldn't
> determine exactly what it was. It seems to have
> something to do with
> Xorg, and I thought I saw there was a YUM repository
> called
> xorg-x11-sdk, but I'm a bit confused. Is GTK a
> development environment
> for the Gnome desktop?
>
> The wacom driver builder will not make a wacom.o or
> wacom.ko file
> without GTK, or so it seems.
>
> Dave
>
> --

GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating
graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of
widgets, GTK+ is suitable for projects ranging from
small one-off projects to complete application suites.

Source:  http://www.gtk.org/

you may download it(source) from
http://www.gtk.org/download/

or get it via yum as root user
# yum install gtk

which should work taking care of dependencies that may
occur.  In the case that the latter yum command is
wrong, someone on the list will hopefully correct me
as I am starting off with yum, updating the kernel
, and kdegraphics using yum.  I updated kdegraphics
because of a font error in kdvi which was a reported
bug.  Now, it is working fine after updating.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa kdegr*
kdegraphics-3.4.1-0.fc4.2
kdegraphics-devel-3.4.1-0.fc4.2
[olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.12-1.1398_FC4