FC3 Want to "downgrade" perl.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 25 07:33:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 19:06 -0400, neidorff wrote:

> > > But you are not answering his question.
> > >
> > > Here's what you do, you can either install the old version using the force
> > > option or you can just uninstall perl (as well as the programs that have
> > > perl as a dependency) and then install your older version of perl and then
> > > try to get everything else working again.
> >
> > Hmmm..
> > I don't like the idea of "force" being suggested,
> > I would suggest "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage blah.rpm" would be the better option..
> > assuming the Perl update has caused your problem?
> >
> > -Colin
> I didn't like the force either, but I tried
> #rpm --force -ivh blah.rpm
> and it didn't work.  At your suggestion, I tried the 'Uvh instead, and
> it did.

That's because an "upgrade" (-Uvh) removes the existing package(s) of
the same name and an "install" (-ivh) doesn't. So you get file clashes
using "-ivh" and you don't with "-Uvh". That's why the "upgrade" (which
was actually a downgrade, allowed by the --oldpackage option) worked and
the "install" didn't.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>