Lost Association in Thunderbird

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 15:01:33 UTC 2005

Hi (again) All,

I have recently upgraded two machines (one was FC2, the other =FC3T4) to
FC4.  The FC2 machine was an update, the FC4 machine was a clean install.
But they both share /home with the rest of the network - so continued to
have their old user settings.  Now in Thunderbird, the file associations
that TB uses to open attachments seem to have become lost - TB asks the
user to say (for example) what they want to open a .doc file file, when
a brand-new FC4 install without a shared /home knows OO is the right
thing and the shared-/home machines did before the update.

Any idea how to correct this ?  I had thought of creating new /home
directories for these users, simply moving across all their real files
and leaving the .files and .directories behind, thus getting a clean
start on the associations.  Any better ideas ?

Jonathan