Installing FC4 AMD64 on IBM e326

Guy Rouillier guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:10:06 UTC 2005

I searched the archives to no avail (and couldn't figure out how to
search the forums.)  I'm trying to install FC4 AMD64 on an IBM e326
rackmount with dual Opteron 248.  The box has an onboard LSI SCSI
controller, the LSI53C1030, and has two SCSI drives set up as RAID 1.  I
can't figure out the magic incantation to get this installed.  For my
first attempt, I didn't specify anything special, i.e., I let FC do what
  it wanted.  It installed fine, but when I rebooted after install, it
dumped me at a grub prompt.  When I tried to cat /boot/grub/menu.lst, it
said "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure."

Hmm.  So for my next attempt, at the boot prompt I tried "linux reiserfs
mptbase mptscsih".  I saw it load the two modules.  When I tried to use
DiskDruid to set up my partitions, it said something like "kernel panic,
unable to write partition table."

Here are the partitions I'm trying to implement:

/dev/sda1 ext2 /boot
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda3 reiserfs /

I'm sure I'm not doing something right, but have no idea what it is.  I
appreciate any pointers to get me started.  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier