update gives me broken /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo file

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.Gov
Mon Jul 25 19:17:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 12:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, David Cary Hart wrote:

> > > Sounds like ATrpms is self-destructing ;-)
> >
> > Anecdotally, it looks like 30% of the problems on this list are
> > related to mixed repos. Axel (who contributes much to the community)
> > makes matters more complicated with proprietary dependencies.
>
> the issue i ran into was much simpler than that -- the new atrpms.repo
> file that was installed by the update simply had a bad URL for axel's
> stable FC4 repo.

My Axel/ATrpms solution was to disable ATrpms repos in yum after
experiencing repeated problems with config files being clobbered (when
creating .rpmnew files would have avoided breakage and problems), deps
of "stable" packages on packages in the "testing" or "bleeding" repos,
and in general, incompatibility with other repos.  I use yum for regular
updates, but have ATrpms (and a few others) configured in smart at a low
priority so I can browse the available packages with smart-gui and
choose any I may want.  More trouble, but much less breakage.

Phil