List spam

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 25 20:47:11 UTC 2005

Damian Menscher wrote:

> It's probably simpler than that... I suggest we all actually fill out
> his silly challenge-reponse thing, and then send him a few dozen emails
> with megabyte-sized attachments.  Make sure each email includes a
> message body saying something about not sending autoreplies to this
> list.  Surely the sysadmin would notice when the user's inbox starts
> taking a could hundred meg (or gig)?

In the USA, that is probably a crime. And recommending it may also
be a crime. It would probably be considered a DoS attack.

> Note: I'm not advocating vigilantism here -- just suggesting a way where
> we could get their attention (possibly the attention of the user, or, if
> that fails, the attention of the sysadmin).
>
> Damian Menscher

The sysadmin may be in cahoots. I recall a long bout of SPAM I
had to suffer several years ago, when a guy starting sending me
a bunch of unwanted junk, and he prominently put into his messages
not to bother reporting him to his sysadmin or ISP, that he
was his *own* sysadmin and ISP. Apparently, he had his own
gateway onto the backbone, and what he stated in his e-mails
was true. All attempts by my employer (a prominent Telecomm
equipment manufacturer) failed to get that guy turned off.

Eventually, I just figured out how to make Pine automatically
junk the e-mails he sent. He often spoofed return addresses,
so it took some ingenuity to get the filter to work.

Mike