Cannot boot from CDROM

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 25 21:18:29 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Burnie West writes:

[that he has a CDROM drive, and it is in the boot list]

> Grub has nothing to do with booting from a CD-ROM.  Grub's only purpose
> is to bootstrap your kernel and initrd.

Erm, yes and no. If he boots GRUB from a floppy, he should be able
to start up the image on his CDROM. Not the same thing as a direct
boot from the CDROM I'll grant you, but not quite the same thing
as "nothing to do with booting from a CD-ROM", either.

I suppose Burnie West doesn't care how, so much as that, he
manages to get the CDROM image booted.

I suppose that re-jumpering your CDROM drive to be the Master
rather than a Slave device might help. But don't leave a CDROM
as a Master to a Slave hard disc permanently. It very likely
will slow down your system.

Mike