Problem with inserting kernel module

Ganeriwal Saurabh saurabh at ee.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 25 21:19:36 UTC 2005

hi,

I am facing some problem in inseting kernel modules on Fedora 4
distribution(2.6.11). I am able to compile the code properly and a X.ko
file is successfully generated. However, when I call "modprobe X.ko", the
system just hangs.

I tried debugging the problem and did a ld X.ko, which results in pointing
out some weird errors:

X.ko(.text+0x10291):include/linux/slab.h: undefined reference to __kmalloc
linux_module.h: undefined reference to kfree
linux_module.h: undefined reference to printk

And many more like that.

Why are not these kernel utilies getting linked properly inspite of
successful compilation?

I would appreciate any help and would also be glad to provide details.

On a side note, I was able to get this module successfully working with
older kernel versions (SuSe distribution).

bye,
saurabh