update gives me broken /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo file

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 25 22:51:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:17:28PM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 12:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > Anecdotally, it looks like 30% of the problems on this list are
> > > related to mixed repos. Axel (who contributes much to the community)
> > > makes matters more complicated with proprietary dependencies.
> >
> > the issue i ran into was much simpler than that -- the new atrpms.repo
> > file that was installed by the update simply had a bad URL for axel's
> > stable FC4 repo.
>
> My Axel/ATrpms solution was to disable ATrpms repos in yum after
> experiencing repeated problems with config files being clobbered (when
> creating .rpmnew files would have avoided breakage and problems),

All config files are declared %config(noreplace), i.e. they should do
exactly what you describe. If not, then it's either a bug in the
specfile (forgetting to mark a config file as such, not the case as
far as I can see), or in rpm itself.

Where are the matching bug reports at bugzilla.atrpms.net? :)

> I use yum for regular updates, but have ATrpms (and a few others)
> configured in smart at a low priority so I can browse the available
> packages with smart-gui and choose any I may want.  More trouble,
> but much less breakage.

Well, some years back I was also a fan of preferences/priorities/
weights whatever. Today I know that they create far more subtle bugs
that can't be debugged in a sane way - like packages sets only being
partly upgraded, and implicit dependencies on other packages (like
modified core ones) being broken.

That's why ATrpms does not ship any predefined preferences/priorities/
weights for repos and lets this be done by the user.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net