two missing dependencies in latest update attempt on FC4

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 22:57:43 UTC 2005

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Scott Talbot wrote:
>

>>Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>

>>>Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 4.0.0 is needed by package libtool
>>>Error: Missing Dependency: gcc = 4.0.0 is needed by package apr-devel
>>>
>>> is anyone else seeing this?  should i just wait for the repos to get
>>>into sync and try again later?
>>>
>>>rday
>>>

>>No problem here. I have installed
>>$ rpm -q apr-devel gcc libtool
>>package apr-devel is not installed
>>gcc-4.0.0-8
>>libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-1
>>

>urk.  my fault.  i accidentally left fedora's "updates-testing" repo
>enabled, which wanted to load gcc-4.0.1, which most packages aren't
>prepared to deal with just yet.
>
>rday
>
>p.s.  on a side note, was it really necessary to build these rpms with
>a dependency as specific as "4.0.0"?  isn't that going to require a
>whole new round of rpm building when gcc-4.0.1 makes it into updates?

gcc-4.0.1 is supposed to have fixes related to volatile which causes
portions of xorg-x11 and probably other programs to miscompile. The
discussion of fedora-test-list in this thread points to discussions as
to how to change libtools and apr-devel so this doesn't happen in the
future.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-July/msg00316.html

Jim

--
"Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers."
-- Chip Salzenberg