update gives me broken /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo file

David Cary Hart fedora at tqmcube.com
Tue Jul 26 03:13:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 00:43 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:52:59PM -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds like ATrpms is self-destructing ;-)
> >
> > Anecdotally, it looks like 30% of the problems on this list are related
> > to mixed repos. Axel (who contributes much to the community) makes
> > matters more complicated with proprietary dependencies.
>
> What is a "proprietary dependency"??? It sound like having packages
> depend on non GPL components (well ipw2x00 kmdls do depend on
> non-GPL'd firmware packages, if that is waht you mean, but I think
> not).

First let me assure you again that I'm not being critical of your
efforts. By proprietary, I mean the additional ATRPM installation
packages which are unique to ATRPMS.

> And compatibility problems are certainly not as high as 30%. That's
> quite an overestimation IMHO.

I never said they were. I said that 30% of the problems discussed in the
Fedora list seem to be associated with third party repo compatibility
issues. Similarly, I suspect that Fedora installs properly across a
broad range of hardware. Perhaps 1% of users have install problems yet
they make up another 25% of the issues discussed on this list (both
percentages are just guesses).