Delete rpm repackage files

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Jul 26 03:35:56 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:

>>> I have been looking on Google and the list archive for several days for
>>> the answer to this questions.  I have also checked all of the
>>> documentation I could think of.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look to find more
>>> information about maintaining rpm's rollback function.  I currently have
>>> several versions of the same packages in /var/spool/repackage.
>>>
>>> Will using rm to delete select version cause any problems in the rpm
>>> database?
>>

>No. Just forget about that repackage feature and downgrade manually
>if necessary (rpm --oldpackage -Uvh).

Disagree (or you're answering a different question than what was
asked).  The repackage files should just be rpm files that have had the
contents slightly altered; probably to remove something like multiple
updates of the same config file.  You *should* be able to safely delete
the repackaged rpm file since any subsequent update should start over
again with just the rpms in the next transaction.  Even if I'm wrong, at
worst the repackager would need to recreate the previous repackaging.

Not sure what happens if you decide to remove a "repackaged" rpm.  The
rpm database should only have the contents from after the repackaging.
Hopefully, whoever came up with the repackaging idea thought of this too
and eveything "just works."

Dave